Q: How do I become a lawful permanent resident?

A: The most common ways for a foreign national to become a lawful permanent resident (frequently referred to as getting your green card is through employment, through family members or when one is granted residence through the diversity visa lottery. The requirements for each method of obtaining permanent residence are complex and are different based on the facts and circumstances of each case. In order to determine if you are eligible to apply for a green card in any of these ways you will need to schedule a consultation with Ms. Bollman so that she can evaluate the specifics of your case.

Q: How can I legally work in the United States?

A: In order for a foreign national to legally work in the United States you must be a lawful permanent resident, have an employment based visa classification or have employment authorization. Again, the requirements for obtaining each of these are complex and are based on the facts and circumstances of each case. If you are interested in working in the United States you should make an appointment for a consultation with Ms. Bollman.

Q: What is a Form I-9, and does my business really need to have them?

A: The Form I-9 is the employment verification tool established by Congress so that employers could identify whether a new employee is legally authorized to work in the United States. Federal law requires that an employer have a properly completed Form I-9 for each employee hired after November 6, 1986. The fines for failing to have a properly completed Form I-9 for each employee range from $110.00 to $935 per Form I-9 depending on how many violations you have. Proper completion, maintenance and destruction of Form I-9s is an important part of a business’s compliance program. The Bollman Firm can help you with proper training on I-9 and E-Verify compliance and in drafting written I-9 and E-Verify policies and procedures.

Q: What types of immigration law does your firm practice?

A: The firm handles employment and family based nonimmigrant and immigrant visas. In addition we provide immigration counsel to businesses on a variety of immigration matters. The firm does not handle deportation cases or matters regarding detained foreign nationals.

Q: How much will you charge to handle my immigration case?

A: The legal fees and costs vary widely depending on the facts and circumstances of your case. Generally, The Bollman Firm charges an hourly rate and renders monthly bills for its services. In addition, a retainer is required to open a file. At your consultation, Ms. Bollman will be able to discuss the firm’s hourly rates and give you an estimate of the legal fees and costs for your case. Ms. Bollman charges $150.00 for a consultation. All fees can be paid with cash, check, or any major credit card. Credit card payments can be made using the link at the bottom of this page.

Q: How can I set up a consultation with Ms. Bollman?

A: If you want to set up a consultation with Ms. Bollman, either call Daphne Fingerman at 504-218-5887 or e-mail her at daphne@bollmanfirm.com to schedule the appointment.